I meant to post this immediately when it happened, but it was put on the back-burner and forgotten over the holidays. This should bring some closure to my material problems.
In short, the prototype material was plenty strong for a massive dog that bolted after a squirrel. However, it was prone to tearing if the dog bit and pulled. It would rip.
Addressing the Problem
I consulted my network and came up with two friends that were experienced with sewing and fabric selection. I asked them for a strong, eco-friendly, fabric alternative. They were happy to provide suggestions.
I ordered some samples… and gave them the full tug-of-war test with my dog. They passed.
…and gave them the full tug-of-war test with my dog. They passed.
The material will require careful seam reinforcement to ensure the material doesn’t unravel after repeated use and washing, but it is very durable.
I decided this was the right material and ordered the material for the product launch as I discussed here.